Vegan Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream and Berries
I’ve made a lot of chocolate cakes over the years and vegan cakes always seems to turn out the most moist. I love this Vegan Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream and Berries so much. Vegan cakes use the vinegar reacting with the baking soda to help the cake rise. When you pull it out of the oven it is cooked but bouncy to the touch. It smells like rich cocoa.
If you are vegan, you can easily top this with coconut whipped cream! Just refrigerate those coconut milk cans, skim the thick part off the top and whip with some powdered sugar. If you make it how I did it, just add some cornstarch with the powdered sugar to stabilize the powdered sugar.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 cups almond milk
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups organic sugar or coconut sugar I used coconut sugar
- STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 5 - 6 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- Fresh and/or frozen berries, as desired for topping.
- Powdered sugar for garnish.
- CAKE - Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two round, 8 or 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, add the vinegar to the milk and beat until it's frothy. Whisk in the oil, vanilla, and sugar. slowly add wet ingredients to dry.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake for 20-25 or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cook completely.
- Once cooled completely (if you'd like a 4 layer cake), cut cakes in half then freeze on parchment paper. Take out of freezer just before frosting.
- WHIPPED CREAM - Combine powdered sugar and cornstarch.Set aside.
- Pour whipping cream into large stand mixer with chilled bowl. Whip until soft peaks form. Then add cornstarch/sugar mixture.
- Continue whipping until firm peaks form.
- Immediately frost onto chilled or frozen cakes. Spoon a large dollop of whipped cream in between each layer and then spread.
- Then top with fresh berries and powdered sugar as desired.
- Store in fridge until ready to serve!
You will love this cake!